122M Mini Interface Meter Cleaning and Maintenance

122M Mini Interface Meter: Cleaning and Maintenance

After each use, the laser-marked PVDF cable should be wiped clean and carefully rewound onto the reel. An alternative is to steam clean the cable only. The probe should be cleaned as follows:

  1. Wash the probe thoroughly with a non-abrasive mild detergent. DO NOT USE ANY SOLVENTS. Use a soft cloth around the pins and on the prism on the end of the probe to remove all product. Use lukewarm water, not hot water or you may damage the probe.
  2. Rinse probe thoroughly with distilled water, wipe dry.
  3. Return the probe to the holder.

Battery Replacement

If the tones get weak, battery power is getting low and you should replace the battery before you go into the field. Push battery drawer in and up and then pull out. The battery drawer should eject slightly to make pulling out easier. Replace the battery with an alkaline 9 volt battery.


Reverse polarity can cause probe damage. Ensure correct battery placement.

General Tips

  1. The probe should be cleaned after each use.
  2. Always use the grounding cable.
  3. Do not drop probe.
  4. If the tones are weak, replace battery.
  5. Where possible, use a Solinst tape guide to protect the cable from scraping on well casing.
  6. Before storage, make sure that the meter is turned ‘OFF’. If the Mini Interface Meter is going to be stored for longer than two months, the 9V alkaline battery should be removed to avoid potential leakage.
  7. The meter can be checked by placing the probe in distilled (non-conductive) water or pure phase product, for example lamp oil (avoid bright sunlight during testing and resting the probe on the bottom of the container). A steady tone and light should be observed.
  8. To maintain Intrinsic Safety Certifications, do not splice the cable.


In rare circumstances it is possible that the 122 might sound when directed toward sunlight, and not in a liquid. This is normal and does not affect proper operation in a monitoring well.



When instrument is turned 'ON' there is a solid red light (no tone)

  1. Indicates a connection issue. Contact Solinst for further troubleshooting options.


Instrument will not turn 'ON' (no starting tone)

  1. Replace the battery
  2. Check the polarity of the battery in the drawer: make sure the + and - on the battery and the drawer match. The probe may be harmed by a reversed battery.
  3. ON/OFF button could be faulty. Contact Solinst.


When instrument is turned 'ON', it immediately sounds product tone or intermittent water tone

  1. Probe sensor may be dirty. Clean according to Cleaning and Maintenance instructions.
  2. Water may have leaked into the probe. Carefully, remove the probe, keeping the wires connected. Dry out the probe, wipe and inspect the o-ring, replace if necessary and/or lubricate with silicone. To avoid any nicks, make sure the wires are tucked back into the probe body when replacing the probe. See Probe Replacement Instructions.
  3. Cable may be damaged. Clean the cable and look for any cuts or nicks. If necessary, replace the damaged cable. To maintain the 122M Intrinsic Safety rating, do not splice or repair a damaged cable. You may contact Solinst for assistance.
  4. The reel or probe circuitry could be damaged. Please contact Solinst.


Instrument does not detect liquid

  1. Check battery. Replace if necessary.
  2. Clean probe tip following the Cleaning and Maintenance instructions.
  3. Probe may be damaged. Please contact Solinst.


Instrument detects "Product" as "Water"

  1. Note that this can happen if the probe is pulled into product too quickly and therefore pulls water in with it. Thoroughly dry the probe tip or shake the probe and try again at a slower speed.
  2. Product may have degraded or is now disturbed enough to become an emulsion. If it has a detectable level of conductivity, it will read water. Wait for it to settle and try again.


Instrument does not detect water

  1. Clean the probe tip. Follow the Cleaning and Maintenance instructions.
  2. The water could be pure and non-conductive or product may be coating the probe, in which case, shake the probe for a while in the water column to clean product from the probe.
  3. The probe circuitry could be damaged due to high voltage (static) in the well. Always use a ground cable. Please contact Solinst.