- Use the USB Programming Cable to connect the STS to your PC.
- Open the 'Field Firmware Upgrade Utility', which is located in the Tools menu of the STS/RRL Administrator.
- Choose the COM port to which the STS is connected. Make sure the Baud Rate is set to 115200.
- Click the leftmost 'Open' button, which should open a file dialog asking for the firmware file (*.ssf) to upload. Navigate to the directory where the firmware file is located then click on the file and click 'Open'.
- Check the 'File Information' box to make sure that the opened file is the right one.
- Click the 'Upload Firmware' button, which is the second button from the left, to start the firmware upload process.
- If a communication error occurs and is indicated in the 'Datalogger Status' box either before or after the "Verifying Firmware" and "Loading Firmware to Datalogger" messages, then restart the upgrade process.
Figure 9-1 Firmware Upgrade Utility
When conducting a firmware upgrade, DO NOT interrupt the process prior to completion (This may take 3 minutes). If the notice "The firmware version in the STS is more recent, continue the firmware updated?" appears, you must select "Continue". Selecting "No" or otherwise interrupting the upgrade process will make the STS unable to communicate with STS software. To correct this, the firmware must be re-upgraded, and allowed to fully complete installation. Installation is not complete until a note appears at the base of the program window indicating "Firmware Upgrade Completed".