To check the Com Port assigned to a USB device after installation, open the Device Manager. Expand 'Ports (COM & LPT)' to show the Com Port that has been assigned.
You may have to restart your computer after adding a new USB device, before that port will be detected by the Levelogger Software.
For older style Optical Readers (received before February 2018) and PC Interface Cables (received before July 2018), USB port communication requires the installation of USB driver software and the setting up of a virtual Com Port.
During the installation of Levelogger Software, the Virtual Com Port Driver will be installed automatically. The Levelogger Software Installation Wizard also copies a folder to the Levelogger folder containing all the Solinst USB drivers.
When you plug in the Solinst USB device, check the Com Port designation after the device is installed.
Com Port Designation Set Up
After installing an older style USB device, should the Com Port number assigned to the device conflict with your existing devices, it is possible to change the Com Port designation number:
- Click Start > Settings > Control Panel
- Click Systems to open the System Properties
- Click the Hardware tab and click 'Device Manager'
- Double Click the Ports Icon and select the 'USB Serial Port'
- Right click and select Properties
- Click the 'Port Settings' tab and click 'Advanced'
- Select the Com Port Number and click 'OK'
Note: the path to the 'Port Settings' tab may be different for each Windows operating system. The above is just a guideline.