To check for firmware updates using Levelogger Software, retrieve settings from the connected AquaVent (see Section 4). "Firmware Update Available" will appear in the top right menu bar if there is an update available. Clicking the message will open a web page where you can download the firmware update. You can also use the Software's Help menu.
With the logger connected to the Wellhead by the Vented Cable, use the USB PC Interface Cable to connect the LevelVent Wellhead to the PC, or use the USB Connector Cable to connect the AquaVent Wellhead to the PC.
The SPX Wellhead also needs a power supply connected to the SDI-12/MODBUS Connector Cable in order to perform the firmware upgrade. See separate User Guides for power connection instructions.
The Firmware Upgrade Utility is used to upload new firmware files to a LevelVent logger, AquaVent logger and/or SP/SPX AquaVent Wellhead. The Firmware Upgrade Utility can be launched from the Utilities menu at the top of the Levelogger Software. The zipped firmware file can be obtained from: www.solinst.com/downloads/
It is important that the communication between the PC and the datalogger is not interrupted during a firmware upload, so please make sure to close any other running programs, including screen savers, and do not disconnect the datalogger before the upload is finished.
Make sure to unzip the firmware file after you have downloaded it, so you can access the *.ssf file. There are separate firmware files available; one for the LevelVent logger, one for the AquaVent logger and one for the SP/SPX AquaVent Wellheads. Update each hardware component separately; update the AquaVent Wellhead before updating the AquaVent logger.
To upload new firmware to a logger or AquaVent Wellhead, follow these steps:
- Open the Solinst Firmware Upgrade Utility from the Utilities menu in the Main Levelogger Software Window. Pick the Com Port to which the datalogger is connected and make sure the Baud Rate is set to 9600.
- Click the 'Open' button , which should open a file dialog asking for the firmware file (*.ssf) to upload. Navigate to the directory where the firmware file was saved on your PC, then click on the file and click 'Open'.
- Check the 'File Information' box to make sure the opened file is correct.
- Click the 'Upload Firmware' button , to start the firmware upload process.
- If a communication error occurs and is indicated in the 'Datalogger Status' window (Figure 11-1) either before the 'Verified Program Checksum' message or after the 'Program Information Section', then restart the upgrade process.
- If, however, a communication error occurs between the 'Verified Program Checksum' and the 'Program Information Section' messages, then please contact Solinst. You will need to give the serial numbers and explain the exact positioning of the error message.
While the firmware is being updated, the SPX Wellhead will ignore or provide time-out response to any requests from the MODBUS or SDI-12 network.
If an upgrade process in the SPX Wellhead fails or is interrupted, then recovery may require a power cycle, usually accomplished by unplugging the USB Connector Cable and SDI-12/MODBUS Connector Cable, then reconnecting after 30 seconds.
Figure 11-1 Firmware Upgrade Utility Window